How to use a smart plug to save money on heating and air conditioning – Android Central
Central cooling and heating are wonderful, but sometimes, it makes more sense to mainly heat or cool the room you spend the most time in. If you’re looking for a way to help lower your power bill and save on heating and cooling costs, we’ve got a few suggestions for how a smart plug can help to save you money.
How to set up your smart plug
Smart plugs can turn on space heaters or fans to help keep the occupants of a room warm or cool and can intelligently tie into routines for the most efficient operation.
Manually controlling a fan or heater is easy with your favorite virtual assistant. Whether you’re looking to yell across the house so your smart speaker can hear, or you’d rather tap a button on your phone, it’s easy-to-use control devices connected to a smart plug. Here’s how to get started.
- Setup your smart plug according to the manufacturer’s instructions. You’ll probably need to download an app to get started.
- Make sure you give your smart plugs a name you’ll remember. For example, something like “Johnny’s fan” is likely a good choice if hooked up to a fan.
- Open up the Google Home or Amazon Alexa app. Add a new device to your smart home using the in-app prompts.
- Search for the manufacturer in Google Home or Amazon Alexa app.
- Follow the prompts to log in to the account you created with the smart plug manufacturer’s app. This will link your assistant to any products you own from that company.
- Follow the prompts in the Google Home or Amazon Alexa apps to add your smart plugs to the appropriate rooms.
How to use a smart plug to control a fan or heater
Now that your smart plug is linked up to your virtual assistant, controlling it is as easy as using your voice or smartphone. Here’s how to manage your smart plug with your voice:
- Call up Google Assistant by using the hot words “Hey, Google,” or Amazon Alexa using the hot word you’ve chosen in the Alexa app. Likely, this is just “Alexa” if you’ve never customized it.
- Say “turn on” followed by the name you gave your smart plug earlier.
- To turn the fan or heater off, call up your assistant and say “turn off” followed by the name you gave your smart plug earlier.
Alternatively, you might find that controlling your devices is simpler by tapping your phone. Most modern Android devices have a device control section that can be used to control any smart home device. Here’s how to do that on any modern Samsung phone:
- Open the notification shade by pressing and dragging down on the bar at the top of the phone.
- Select the devices button underneath the quick settings buttons.
- Click the drop-down arrow to select your service of choice, either Google Home or SmartThings.
- Now, you’ll see a selection of quick tiles that represent smart home gadgets. Select a tile to interact with each device.
To arrange the order of the tiles, press and hold on …….